I was recently watching a rerun of the brilliant movie The Shawshank Redemption. The character Andy in the movie states a classic quote, “Get busy living or get busy dying.” I’m going to use Andy’s quote as the message of this week’s One Minute Motivator. The key lessons for me that I would like to share with you are:
- Your life is finite. Your life is a one-time deal and it is up to you what you make of it. Life is finite, so this fact should be what forces you to take your precious life seriously. Use your time wisely, and make meaningful choices.
- You are the author of your life story. Your life is an unwritten book that only you can write. You are the architect of your own destiny, so make sure that your blueprint is based on solid purpose, passion and values. You are nothing else other than what you make of yourself.
- It’s not what happens to you that matters, it’s how you respond to it. Life will sometimes give you nasty challenges. This will happen to us all. No matter how things stand in your life, you and you alone, choose how to interpret your situation. You choose how to respond to it.
- Stop playing the blame game. When caught in a challenging situation, some people will instinctively blame someone else. It is the always the other person’s fault. There is tremendous power in taking responsibility. Develop a no-excuses philosophy.
- Your life is the sum of all your choices. You give your life meaning by the choices you make. With freedom of choice, however, comes responsibility. Because you have the power to choose, you have the power to change. The freedom to choose may be the most powerful attribute and potentially the most precious resource that you have in your life. Change is a choice born of hope, faith and courage.
By the time you lay your head on your pillow at the end of this day, you will have made dozens of choices that will affect the quality of your life, some for better and possibly some for worse (I hope not). The freedom to choose is yours alone to leverage or not. Make the choice to live an empowered life; make the choice to live in the present. I wish you every success.
John Lloyd is the author of the book Smart Thinking for Crazy Times. Grab a copy at a smart bookstore.