Ask any recruiter about sourcing top-producing sales talent and you’ll often hear the same old story: “the real challenge is just finding qualified candidates to interview”. There are plenty of C-players out there, but finding A-plus players, the true sales superstars who consistently achieve their targets, month after month, is the key.
In today’s economy, in any economy, you can’t afford to lose sales because of mediocrity in your sales force. What you want from sales professionals is top-notch performance.
Every successful business needs sales superstars. I would like to share a few key ideas about recruiting sales rainmakers.
- Hire Slow – Fire Fast! Most companies do this the wrong way around and pay a terminal price for this folly. A sales champion will most likely present themselves expertly at a challenging interview.
- Good sales people are free. If a sales superstar delivers way more income than they cost, then think about the concept that these people are “working for free”. This mindset will eliminate the stupid comment that business owners and managers make when they say “we can’t afford him or her”.
- The paradox of point 2 is that poor sales people are expensive. Think about it!
- You don’t attract sales rainmakers with boring adverts. Get rid of the poor applicants by bluntly stating “if you don’t have a track record of achieving 500% over target then we are not the company for you”. Your adverts must declare that you want champion achievers or don’t waste your time.
- Always be recruiting. The moment you identify a sales champion, you must grab them.
Ten traits of sales champions:
- Tenacious in the face of rejection
- They are energetic, driven and self-motivated
- Tireless prospectors
- Outstanding networkers
- They think like marketers
- Curious about everything
- Urgent in all communications
- Outstanding presenters
- Brilliant closers
- Fanatical about follow through
Employ enough of these sales rainmakers and your business will fly. Employ average sales people and your business will stay average. The choice is yours!
John Lloyd is a business growth strategist, award-winning marketer, speaker, trainer, columnist and author of the book Smart Thinking for Crazy Times.
Visit John at www.brandstorm.co.za and subscribe to his free newsletter.
Do you need a speaker who will educate and inspire at your next industry conference or a trusted advisor who will increase profits, multiply sales and magnify marketplace positioning?
Contact John today – email@example.com