The fear of REJECTION! Sales people don’t make as many calls as they should or are afraid of hearing a ‘no’ simply because they hate facing rejection from prospects. This is by far the number one fear of sales people.
If this applies to you then the first step to beating this weakness is your mind. You must convince yourself to accept and believe that each ‘no’ in selling takes you a step closer to a ‘yes’.
Consider this fact, that even if you are the best sales person in the world, it’s highly likely that you will hear more no’s than yes’s.
Rejection in selling is an event or a process, it’s not you. But paradoxically, I do tell people to take rejection as a personal wake-up call that you are probably doing something wrong in the key result areas of selling. If you truly believe in your product and service and are passionate about it, then how can you not take it personally?
Evaluate your sales performance in following 9 key areas:
- Are you prospecting the right leads?
- Are you ready and prepared for each sales pitch?
- Are you building good rapport?
- Are you asking probing questions that help you determine the prospects needs?
- Are you presenting powerful solutions?
- Are you articulating and demonstrating the tangible benefits of your product or service?
- Are you effectively differentiating your product or service against your competitors?
- Are you closing the sale strongly?
- Are you asking for re-sales and referrals?
Because if you are focusing on these nine actions each and every time that you sell, then I guarantee that your success ratio will dramatically improve.
My advice for all struggling sales people is to follow my recommended steps and do the very best that you can do. After each possible rejection, ask yourself, what could I have done differently? Realise that selling is a numbers game and that you are now closer to your next sale.
Think it through, dust yourself down and then move onto the next deal.
John Lloyd is a business growth strategist, award-winning marketer, speaker, trainer, columnist and author of the book Smart Thinking for Crazy Times.
Visit John at www.brandstorm.co.za and subscribe to his free newsletter.
Do you need a speaker who will educate and inspire at your next industry conference or a trusted advisor who will increase profits, multiply sales and magnify marketplace positioning?
Contact John today – firstname.lastname@example.org